Friday: After a full night of me being sick with a horrid stomach bug Thursday (I'll spare you the details), I decided to go ahead and go with Craig and the boys to the ranch as promised. I was so weak and tired that I literally went from the bed to the truck. We loaded up (around 4) and were headed into what we knew would be an adventurous weekend! We were surprised by how adventurous it actually was! The ranch is South of San Antonio, so we had about a 3 1/2 hour drive. We were coming into SA and heard what could only be projectile vomit! YEP!!! now, Drew was sick. ALL over the back of the truck. We pull over into a truck stop and strip him down in the parking lot and wipe him down with baby wipes. Get him dressed, give him a bowl and fasten him back in and we argued about turning back or not. Of course, I wanted to turn around, but Craig didn't. I just couldn't stop thinking about my own bed and now how Drew and I could be in bed sick together. We didn't turn around. Every 15 minutes or so, Drew threw up and we stopped to clean out the bowl on the side of the road! UGH! We stopped about an hour later so Dylan and Craig could eat. Drew and I snuggled in the front seat of the truck.
And we were off again. Almost to Uvalde and guess who's sick now?? CRAIG! Seriously! Roadtrip from hell! OK, so we have to stop a few more times now for Craig. Drew is asleep....finally.
We get to the property and have a very bumpy gravel road drive to the ranch. Drew gets sick again from all the bumping.
As we are pulling up (around 9pm) I just happen to ask Craig if the place is clean. His reply, "um, we cleaned it last year sometime!" like, last November. Great!
We walk in---dirt, cobwebs, dead bugs, etc. everywhere! Did I mention that I'm not at all an outdoors girl?!
We put Drew straight to bed and got ourselves ready. Of course, I made Craig check our sheets first. So, I slept with both boys in one bed. Drew heaved and moaned all night. I kept sitting up and making sure he had his bowl. They were up and ready for the day before 7.
Saturday: When the boys and I woke up, Craig was in his deerstand. Lucky bastard was well rested! :) So, Drew was still feeling icky. I made some biscuits for us. We bummed around the cabin for a while. Then, we all got in the truck and drove around for a while. The boys got to sit in Craig's lap and "drive" the truck. They really enjoyed that. We had burned pizza for lunch. Took naps. Played for a little while watching football on tv.
Then our attempt at the deerstand! HA! Epic Fail! Here's how that went......all dressed in camo, drive to deerstand, have snacks, drinks, headphones, dvd player, phones. Lots of things to keep them busy. We walk up and are loading everything into the stand. Drew and Dylan go up and I go after them. Craig drives off to hide the truck. I'm not even in the deerstand and Dylan starts freaking out! Screaming, crying, jumping. I'm looking to see what is going on and can barely see anything. I lift my sunglasses and see what looks like a leaf. Nope! Not a leaf....a newborn mouse struggling for life. It was horrible. Then I look up and see a HUGE wasps nest in the corner. OK, we are done with the deerstand. Craig is throwing corn out in the field and I'm screaming at him from the deerstand that we are done and getting out! We start our climb back out and he comes over. We wait for him to go get the truck and head back to the cabin. Now, it's time for cooking dinner out on their man-made grill and letting the boys and dogs run around outside.
Get to bed around 10pm. Drew slept on top bunk in same room as me and Dylan. Dylan develops a horsey cough around 1am. The 3 of us don't sleep again.Up before 7 again Sunday.
Sunday: Craig in deerstand again. I make cinnamon rolls. And start packing immediately after that. The boys and I are exhausted, grumpy, not feeling good. I just want to get out of there and get home. We wait and wait on Craig for what seems like forever. We are packed and ready and start loading up the truck. We are gone by 10. Get on the road with 2 very sleepy, cranky boys who luckily fall asleep. We drive all the way to Gruene. Ahhh, my favorite place to be! I want to move there. I love that quaint little town.
We spent 3 1/2 hours in Gruene. Ate at the Gristmill (of course). Then just walked around. Walked down to the river and skipped rocks. Admired the falls. Fell in love. We went to several stores and Drew wanted something/anything from Gruene! ha! Drew loved the names of all the stores. We found them both silly bands at The Dancing Bear where the lady told me I had a beautiful family! Now, that made my day! We went to the Gruene General Store where we sat at the old timey counter and ordered fresh squeezed lemonade and fudge. Saw tons of motorcycles right outside where they all started to fire up their engines all at once and almost blasted poor Dylan. He loves motorcycles though! The store next to the general store was our last stop of the day. We bought them Gruene Hall tee shirts and pop guns! YES, I bought my boys guns! It was actually my idea. While in this store, we heard a familiar voice on the stereo....Wade Bowen, Drew's favorite country singer! It was hot and we were definitely all tired by then. We headed to the truck. Gave the dogs some water and headed home.
I was so happy to be home, I could have kissed my house! I love my house and love it even more now that I realize just how clean it is!
Monday: woke up to a cold sore on Drew. He gets them everytime he gets sick. And now both boys need their Xopenex for their allergies/asthma.
If I never go back to that place, I'll die a happy woman.
What did we learn this weekend????? Mommy and Daddy don't like doing the same things all the time! And that is OK!
coming up on 2...
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment