Saturday, January 31, 2009

"bad word sauce"

So, I read this blog called "The Meanest Mom" and it's hilarious. I enjoy reading her blogs about her kids and what a smart ass she is and she reminds me of myself in many ways! I was reading her blog the other day and she had one about bad words and how she keeps her kids from saying them. We have had issues with Drew saying "poo-poo", "poop", etc. not in reference to going potty! He has been told many times not to say these words, that mommy doesn't like them. Well, he knows what buttons to push on me and that's one he pushes a lot. We started with saying that word or any other bad word, the consequence is a time out, then we started to take favorite things away like, "Cars", trashtruck, books, etc. None of it worked. I told him that when his daddy was little he got his mouth washed out with soap for saying bad words! That didn't work either! He thought that was funny. And being curious, one day he licked his soapy hands, and said it wasn't so bad!
So, enter the meanest mom. She uses hotsauce and jalepenos to threaten her kids so they don't say bad words! I suggested that to Craig, and he loved the idea! We told Drew of his new punishment and he didn't like the idea!
So about 3 nights ago we were eating dinner and Drew looked at me said "poop" smiling! That pissed me off enough to jump up from the table and ask daddy where the hotsauce was! Keep in mind how dramatic I can be.....
Drew immediately started screaming and crying and he just kept saying "sorry, sorry, sorry" and " I don't like hotsauce!" So I got the hotsauce out of the pantry and slammed it down on the table! Then Drew started crying more and asking me for a hug! That was all it took! Just the threat.
It has been sitting on the table ever since then and every time he sees it he says "no more bad words!" kinda like he's reminding himself! We were so hopeful that the threat of the hotsauce on the tongue would be enough. I was planning on blogging today about the threat being so funny and leaving it at that.
However, I can't leave it at that, sadly. Drew got sauced today! We were playing and he said the dreaded word. Craig got up to get the hotsauce and Drew was just beside himself. After about 5 minutes of wrestling, Craig dabbed the sauce on his finger and then dabbed that on Drew's tongue. It was so dramatic, I honestly think that the thought of it was a lot worse than the hotsauce itself! It was such a small amount. He kept saying, "I didn't like that, it was hot". Well, that was the point!!! So hopefully that will be the end of bad words! At least until he develops a taste for spicy foods.......

4 comments:

Brad and Katrina said...

"got sauced" thats funny Kel!

3greenbeans said...

This is such a funny post! I might have to stick that in my "toolbox", lol!

Hannah said...

I LOVE it!!!!! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful idea. Do you have thoughts of using it in the classroom? hmmmm??

Anonymous said...

My mom used to put it under my tong.You go guys for sticking to it.To funny!thanks for making me laugh.