
This past weekend I accomplished something I never thought I could. Something I kept saying "one day".....
A HALF MARATHON! That's 13.1 miles of running.
I first laced up some running shoes two years ago to the month. I started with the couch potato to 5K program (that's 3.2 miles). Two years ago, I never thought I'd run 3, let alone 13!
I ran several 5K races and loved the excitement of race day!
So back in October, I decided to start training for the half marathon! Honestly, that wasn't enough time! And I didn't train enough hills! If you're gonna run an Austin race, you MUST train hills--lots of hills. Big hills. Small hills. Hills.
I started waking up at 4:30 in the mornings and running with my training partner, who has run several halves and a full! I was eating like a runner and getting the fun runners gear!
The Austin Livestrong Half Marathon was the hardest thing I have ever put my body through, except my 2 crazy childbirths!
I've never pushed myself like this and it was amazing! It took me 3 hours! That's 3 hours of running/walking/hills/hills/hills/wanting to quit!
I can't say that I enjoyed the actual race, but the months and weekend leading up to it were amazing and I felt like superwoman when I finished!
It's taken me 4 days to feel normal again and I start running again tomorrow!

My training partner and friend, Erin and I pre race! So excited!

Biting my medal!;)

The night before, I got all my clothes ready! These shoes are now retired and still have my chip on them!

My gorgeous medal! It's hanging on my bed!

Recovery--ice packs on knees, compression sleeves on calves, and my new shoes my sweet hubby bought me for accomplishing this half!

Erin and I had to stop and get a post race coke! It tasted so good. It had been a month since I had one!

- Posted using BlogPress from Kelly's iPhone
No comments:
Post a Comment